Sand Cleaning – Methods from Removing Oil from Sand (B-FSM-136)
- Land-farm or compost to allow aerobic degradation
- Direct or indirect fired, or microwave, incineration/volatilization using heat
- Hammer/rotary mill which grinds solids and generates heat to desorb oil
- Hydrocarbon solvent (aromatic, C5-C6) used to dissolve oil from sand surface
- Biological/chemical additions to reduce surface tension and desorb oil
- High shear action through abrasion/attrition to shear oil from sand particle
Various Combination of Above Actions
- e. hot water, soap, and shearing action – washing machine
All of these have been used in the upstream oil & gas industry, and the most common approach in offshore operations is Mechanical Scrubbing.
- Rawlins, C.H. and Wang, I. 2001. “Design and Installation of a Sand-Separation and -Handling System for a Gulf of Mexico Oil Production Facility”. SPE Production and Facilities, August, pp. 134-140. https://doi.org/10.2118/72999-PA
- Rawlins, C.H. 2019. “Enhanced Production Through Surface Facilities Sand Management.” SPE Distinguished Lecturer presentation. Link here
Next week I will define oil & gas sand cleaning.