Facilities Sand Management: Key Technical Papers (B-FSM-197)
At the end of each of the eleven training modules on Facilities Sand Management, I post a set of references – or key technical papers. These are for you to do the research yourself. Check my assumptions or statements for yourself.
The full set of posts can be found at the eProcess Technologies eBlog site here: eBlog (eprocess-tech.com).
The top recommended reference papers are listed as follows;
- “Fluid Production Enhancement by Exploiting Sand Production”. M.B. Geilikman, M.B. Dusseault, F.A. Dullien.1994. https://doi.org/10.2118/27797-MS
- “Design and Installation of a Sand Separation and Handling System for a Gulf of Mexico Oil Production Facility”. C. H. Rawlins, I. I. Wang. 2001. https://doi.org/10.2118/72999-PA
- “How Can Sand Production Yield a Several-Fold Increase in Productivity: Experimental and Field Data”. H. H. Vaziri, E. Lemoine, I. D. Palmer, J. McLennan, R. Islam. 2000. https://doi.org/10.2118/63235-MS
- “Generalization of API RP 14E for Erosive Service in Multiphase Production”. B. S. McLaury, S. A. Shirazi. 1999. https://doi.org/10.2118/56812-MS
- “Design of a Cyclonic Solids Jetting Device and Slurry Transport System for Production Systems”. C. H. Rawlins. 2016. https://doi.org/10.2118/166118-PA
- “Upgrade of Spar Topsides with Comprehensive Facilities Sand Management System”. Y. Loong, H. Rawlins, D. Goo. 2014. https://doi.org/10.4043/24705-MS
- “Separating Solids First – Design and Operation of the Multiphase Desander”. C. H. Rawlins. 2017. https://doi.org/10.2118/185658-MS
- “The Design and Operation of Oil-Gas Production Separator Desanding Systems”. Priestman, G.H., Tippetts, J.R., Dick, D.R. Trans IChemE, Vol. 74, Part A, March 1996, pp. 166-176.
- “What to do with Produced Solids after Separation: Dewatering, Transport, and Disposal”. C.H. Rawlins. 2022. https://doi.org/10.2118/210003-MS
- “The Subsea Sand Management Challenge – What to do with the sand?”. C.H. Rawlins, J.C. Ditria. 2019. https://doi.org/10.4043/29278-MS
Most of these can be found on SPE OnePetro. And I hope these papers provide useable information for your daily activities.
Hank Rawlins, PhD, P.E.