Multiphase Desander – Application and Mechanical Requirements (B-FSM095)
The following guidelines provide the application and mechanical requirements for the multiphase desander.
Application and Operations
- Pre choke (API)
- Post choke (ASME)
- Subsea – in development
- Well testing, well cleanout, underbalanced drilling, produced solids, proppant flow back
- Flush/fill accumulator (clean water any source at 50 psi)
- Insert replacement and o-rings
- Five standard: inlet, clean fluid outlet, solids discharge, accumulator-vent, and accumulator-flush/fill
- Generally, 1 m² bare equipment and 1.5-2.0 m² for skid with basic valves/piping/instruments
- 3-5 meters pending accumulator size
- Vertical standard, but WHD vessel can be operated horizontal
- 2,000-4,000 kg bare equipment, 10,000-25,000 kg full skid
- ANSI: 150#-2500#
- API: 5K, 10K, 15K
Materials of Construction
- Vessel: 4130 CS standard, Available: F22, UNS31803, UNS32760
- Insert: Standard is UNS 31803 w/ HVOF-WC internal, alternate is thick RB-SiC with duplex sheath
- Instrumentation: Inlet-Overflow DPI, Inlet PI
- Valves: Accumulator isolation, discharge, vent, and fill
- Normally operated manual (valves) but can be automated
Multiphase desander application and mechanical requirements will be covered in the next article.
- Rawlins, C.H. 2017. “Separating Solids First – Design and Operation of the Multiphase Desander”, paper 185658-MS presented at the SPE Western Regional Meeting, Bakersfield, CA, 23-27 April.