Multiphase Desander – Key Items and Technical References (B-FSM097)
In this article we finish the discussion of the multiphase desander.
- All oil & gas wells produce sand. Multiphase desanding removes the sand in Node 4 (post B-FSM-006)
- A multiphase desander is unit process device based on cyclonic technology. It has the highest throughput-size ratio of any separating technology (post B-FSM-079).
- Wellhead desanding protects choke, flow lines, separator, and downstream equipment while wellstream desanding protects the separator and downstream equipment (B-FSM-081)
- Separation of sand at the wellhead can restore or increase hydrocarbon production (B-FSM-004)
- Sand removed at wellhead is easy to transport and handle
- Wellhead desander operates at 0-100% GVF (B-FSM-087 and B-FSM-092)
- Single insert design most appropriate for multiphase flow
- Mechanical design available from ANSI 150# to API 15K
The references below are the best to start with in regards to multiphase cyclonic desanding.
- Giunot, F., Douglass, S., Duncan, J., Orrell, M., Stenger, B., “Sand Exclusion and Management in the Okwori Subsea Oil Field, Nigeria”, paper 106294, European Formation Damage Conference, Scheveningen, The Netherlands, 30 May-1 June 2007.
- Hagemeijer, P.M., Jagernath, S., “Hydrocyclone field tests for removal of sand from production wells in South Oman”, Journal of Canadian Petroleum Technology, Vol. 42, No. 6, June 2003, pp. 47-53.
- Kaura, J.D., Macrae, A., Mennie, D., “Clean up and Well Testing Operations in High-Rate Gas-Condensate Field Result in Improved Sand Management System”, paper 68747, SPE Asia Pacific Oil & Gas Conference and Exhibition, Jakarta, Indonesia, 17-19 April 2001.
- Loong, Y., Rawlins, C.H., and Goo, D., “Upgrade of Spar Topsides with Comprehensive Facilities Sand Management System”, paper 24705-MS, Offshore Technology Conference Asia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, March 25-28, 2014.
- Marquez, J., Brito, A., “How to Separate Sand in Heavy and Extra Heavy Oil Fields Surface Facilities”, paper WHOC14-395, World Heavy Oil Congress 2014, New Orleans, LA.
- Peruzzi, T., Gagen, E., Reynolds, R., Cunningham, L.E., “Case History: Sand Handling and Hydrocarbon Containment During a Coiled Tubing Cleanout of a Live Deepwater Well”, paper 166531, SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, New Orleans, LA, 30 September-2 October, 2013.
- Rawlins, C.H., “Sand Management Methodologies for Sustained Facilities Operations”, Oil & Gas Facilities, Vol. 2, No. 5, October 2013, pp. 27-34.
- Rawlins, C.H. “Application of Multiphase Desander Technology to Oil and Gas Production,” BHR Group 3rd North American Conference on Multiphase Technology, Banff, Alberta, Canada, Jun. 2002.
- Rawlins, C.H., “Separating Solids First – Design and Operation of the Multiphase Desander”, paper 185658-MS presented at the SPE Western Regional Meeting, Bakersfield, CA, 23-27, April 2017.
This article completes the discussion on Multiphase Desanding. I will be taking a few months break before starting the next series on Multiphase Screen-Filters – also called Dual-Pot Sand Filters.