Sand Cleaning – Step 2: Sand Cleaning Cycle (B-FSM-144)
The following actions comprise Step 2 of the package operation – Sand Cleaning Cycle. These steps accompany the following graphic.
- Utility water introduced to eductor, bring up to pressure/flow and fill sand cleaning cyclone and piping
- Utility water introduced to cyclonic jetting device and slurry outlet opened to eductor
- Slurry introduced to sand cleaning cyclone and pressure/flow set
- Sand recaptured into accumulator while water-oil discharged to closed drain tank or process – closed loop
- Loop cleaning continues based on time (tuned loop) or oil-on-sand content (based on sample)
- Cleaning takes place in cyclonic jetting device, eductor, piping, and sand cleaning cyclone
- Rawlins, C.H. and Wang, I. 2001. “Design and Installation of a Sand-Separation and -Handling System for a Gulf of Mexico Oil Production Facility”. SPE Production and Facilities, August, pp. 134-140. https://doi.org/10.2118/72999-PA
- Rawlins, C.H. 2019. “Enhanced Production Through Surface Facilities Sand Management.” SPE Distinguished Lecturer presentation. Link here
Next week I will cover Step 3 – clean sand discharge.