Solids Dewatering-Transport-Disposal – Key Items and Technical Paper References (B-FSM-167)
This post concludes the discussion on solids dewatering-transport-disposal. This series was started with post B-FSM-152.
Key Takeaway Items from the D-T-D training Module
- All solids handling systems should start with identification of the proper disposal location
- Dewatering is removal of free liquids from sand slurry to minimize disposal volume
- Open (non-hazardous) or closed (hazardous) dewatering systems
- Final disposal site determines transport method
- As slurry in piping or as dewatered sand in bin/bag
- Four main groups of locations
- Landfill disposal
- Overboard discharge
- Slurry fracture injection (SFI)
- Unique methods
- Environmental regulations concerning specific contaminants is primary factor in disposal route
- Jones, F., Leuterman, A., and Still, I. 2002. “Discharge Practices and Standards for Offshore Operations around the World,” presented at the 7th International Petroleum Environmental Conference, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA, November 7-10, 2000.
- McLaury, B.S., and Shirazi. S.A. 1999. Generalization of API RP 14E for Erosive Service in Multiphase Production. Paper 56812 presented at the SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, Houston, Texas, 3-6 October.
- Melchor, A.E., da Costa, A., Rodriguez, C., Pena, J.R., “E&P Waste Management in the Orinoco Delta”, SPE Drilling & Completions, September 2002, 164-173.
- Rawlins, C.H., “The Subsea Sand Management Challenge: What to do with the sand?”, 6th European Sand Management Forum, Aberdeen, UK, March 26-27, 2014.
- Rawlins, C.H., “Design of a Cyclonic Solids Jetting Device and Slurry Transport System for Production Systems,” paper 166118-MS, SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, New Orleans, LA, Sep 30-Oct 2, 2013.
- Rawlins, C.H., “Sand Management Methodologies for Sustained Facilities Operations,” paper 164645-MS, North Africa Technical Conference & Exhibition, Cairo, Egypt, Apr. 15-17, 2013.
- Rawlins, C.H., and Wang, I. I., “Design and Installation of a Sand Separation and Handling System for a Gulf of Mexico Oil Production Facility,” SPE Production and Facilities, paper 72999, Vol. 16, No. 3, 2001, pp. 134-140.
- Veil, J.A. 2001. “Offshore Waste Management-Discharge, Inject, or Haul to Shore?”, presented at the 8th International Petroleum Environmental Conference, Houston, TX, November 6-9.
Next week I will have a special announcement about an SPE Sand Management course coming up in March 2022.