When is Dewatering Required? (B-FSM-156)
In following the Five-Steps of Facilities Sand Management – when is Dewatering Required? It is not used in all cases – only when necessary.
The deciding factor is how the solids will be transported to final disposal (reference the graphic below).
- If solids are transported as pipe transport – either for overboard discharge or injection into disposal well – then dewatering is not
- If the solids are to be collected for containerized transport – such as ship-to-shore or landfill disposal -then dewatering is
- Rawlins, C.H. and Wang, I. 2001. “Design and Installation of a Sand-Separation and -Handling System for a Gulf of Mexico Oil Production Facility”. SPE Production and Facilities, August, pp. 134-140. https://doi.org/10.2118/72999-PA
- Rawlins, C.H. 2019. “Enhanced Production Through Surface Facilities Sand Management.” SPE Distinguished Lecturer presentation. Link here
- Rawlins, C.H. “What to do with Produced Solids after Separation: Dewatering, Transport, and Disposal.”. White Paper Publication, eProcess Technologies. Link here
Next week I will cover dewatering slurry from the collection step.